Modified Hydro electricity Turbine
Name : G. K. Ratnakar
District & State : Chikmagalur, Karnataka
Category : Engineering
Award : State
Award Function : 2nd National Grassroots Innovation Awards
Award Year : 2002
Price : Rs. 60,000/- And Above
Ratnakara (40 years), is educated up to SSLC only. He possesses 1.75 acre of land where he cultivates arecanut and paddy. He grew a unique ladysfinger vegetable at his farm that won award at district horticultural show at Shimoga. His family comprises wife and a son. He runs a small turbo manufacturing unit for last six years at his native village Jayapura. His innovation when displayed at an agriculture exhibition in Bangalore, facilitated by NIF, attracted lot of media attention. He got several orders after this exposure.
Electricity supply in the hills is always a problems with either the difficulty of access or distribution or disruption. Innovator has designed a hydro electric turbine specially designed for the streams in the hilly terrains. It can be simply installed in a stream of flowing water. The novelty of this innovation is that it can be also installed in the stream of running water & the design of the turbine can be customized according to the requirements.
- The major components of this turbine include alternator, balance wheel & belt pulley, V-belt & V-pulley.
- Water crush by force through nozzle, peloton wheels tarts rotating on customized RPM level. The peloton wheel so connected to alternator generates the power. Such power is distributed for transmission through wires for various appliances.
- The minimum height of the water reservoir should be 30 ft.
- The average lent of the pipe from the reseriour should be 300 ft.
- Use of renewable source of energy.
- The water is not exhausted and it can be used for agriculture & other activities,
- Minimal maintenance (after 2-2.5 years).
- Pollution free.
- Cost efficient